The Beautiful Ones
Njideka Akunyili ‘04
Acrylic, pastel, color pencils and Xerox transfers on paper
Njideka is currently exhibiting five pieces at Franklin Art Works in Minneapolis, MN. The exhibit runs through July 27th.
The Nigerian-born, Brooklyn-based artist is a fast-rising star on the international scene. Just 30, she earned an MFA degree at Yale University in 2011 and immediately stepped onto a bright stage. She moved into a prestigious residency that year at the Studio Museum in Harlem followed by five 2012 shows in New York and one at the Museum of New Art in Detroit.
Last year at Art Basel Switzerland, the art world’s primo show-and-sell mosh pit, five of her monumental collages sold in just 30 minutes. Given the art world’s proclivity for hype, skeptics may be wary of so much sizzle, but the Franklin show suggests that Akunyili has the smarts to go the distance.
Read the full article here.
18 Notes/ Hide
- seashells4teeth likes this
- jilliannelee likes this
- copperoranges likes this
- thislifecumulative likes this
- margaretcatwood likes this
- heartdashbeats likes this
- onlyimage reblogged this from heartcity
- heartcity reblogged this from dogjaw and added:
- aliceavalon reblogged this from dogjaw
- elittlebitcolder likes this
- patrickmduggan likes this
- glitterbittzz reblogged this from dogjaw
- aliceavalon likes this
- womanhouse likes this
- dogjaw reblogged this from swarthmorealumni
- quintessential-art reblogged this from swarthmorealumni
- quintessential-art likes this
- houseofvirgody reblogged this from swarthmorealumni and added:
- swarthmorealumni posted this